Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Bodyweight Fitness, or how I'm a cheap bastard and I like it

“No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.” - Socrates


Thanks for the introduction, my man, but your statement was left a little too open. Physical Training is one seriously big category. Bodybuilding, powerlifting, bodyweight training, sprinting, marathons, all the different kinds of sports, pole-fitness; One might be left a bit dumbfounded trying to figure out which way is best, but the the ultimate truth is that none of them is the "best" Physical Training. They each have their own merits, strengths and weakness, and each person is allowed to decide for themselves which to do. It all comes down to your goals, and that's why I chose Bodyweight Fitness.

1. Price - You just can't beat the price of bodyweight fitness. Although you can spend hundreds of dollars buying fancy equipment, none of it is necessary. On a basic level, the only thing you need is a something to do pullups on (tree limb anyone?). If you want to get fancy, throw a towel around it to do rows. Perhaps you could add parallettes in there, but really, they aren't needed at a basic level. Only sprinting or running barefoot can compete, and I do mean barefoot because once you've bought a couple of shoes, you've paid more for running than you ever would doing bodyweight fitness. I mean, if you're going to be doing fitness for life and don't want to fork out as little dough as possible, then bodyweight fitness is the way to go.

2. Strength - You can get plenty strong doing bodyweight fitness. You won't break the world record in deadlifts (which breaking world records is seriously cool) but be honest with yourself. Was that your goal to start with? If it was, I don't know what you're doing here, but if you're like me and just had the goal of being stronger than I was, then bodyweight fitness will meet that goal. One-hand pushups, pullups, headstand pushups; really, that's strong and you know it.

3. Aesthetics - See Exhibt A: The Kavadlo Brothers. No? Not good enough for you, you say? Well, screw you. That looks way better than I look right now and I'd be euphoric to rock that look . . . minus the tattoos.

4. Coolness - See Exhibt B: This chick! Admit it: everything is easier to do when its fun. Bodyweight fitness has some cool, fun stuff like one-arm pushups, planches, pullups, and handstands. The kick I get from mastering a new move just can't be found pushing a bar up and down all day. Well, at least not for me. Maybe I lack focus, whatever, but this post and my reasons for choosing bodyweight fitness are all about me.

And that is all my goals. When I started working out, I wanted to be stronger and look better while having a good time and not breaking my bank while doing it.

As far as what's the best Physical Training that meets those goals? For me, Bodyweight fitness.

No comments:

Post a Comment