Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Movie Review: The Blues Brothers (1980)

My sister's cat is still possessed by Cthulhu's unholy spirit, though his power over the tiny creature seems to be waning. As consequence, I have been confined to her cage we affectionately refer to as the Spare Bedroom or the 9th Pit of Hell, depending on if the beast is asleep or not, watching old movies on Netflix that are truly amazing and make me wonder why I ever waited so long to watch these awesome things.

Case in point: The Blues Brothers (1980)

The plot follows two brothers who are trying to put on a concert to save their old orphanage. They are both musicians and small time criminals though, so they are trying to do this while also running from the law and the many other people they've managed to piss off on their mission from God. And I gotta say, what a damned good ride it was! This movie was awesome!

With such a wacky plot, The Blues Brothers doesn't take itself too seriously either. There are more than a few cases where the scenes slide into a sort of epic-fantasy-esc telling, including a beam of light shining down from the heavens, doors that close on their own, and the characters serving being thrown several stories up in the air while in a telephone booth. Along the way, jokes and music a plenty keep the story moving forward without missing a beat. Things slowly escalate so subtly that by the end of the movie (and show) the army is rolling in to catch these two crooks while they raise to pay their taxes, and I'm laughing my ass off because I'm so enjoying this ride that I don't want it to end!

Without a doubt, The Blues Brothers earned its cult classic title. It's a little on the long side, being over two hours in length, but well worth the ride. This is the kind of movie I'd re-watch and also the kind of movie that I won't soon be forgetting.

No comments:

Post a Comment