Monday, June 29, 2015

Movie Review: Jurassic World

 Jurassic World
(2015) on IMDb

Went to see this one Saturday night with my wife, sister, and brother-in-law. I hadn't planned on seeing it in theaters, but they struck up the desire and I went along. We got there early, nailing the best seats in the house (imo) which are the very backrow, center stage. The backrow is best because it's more difficult to hear people talking throughout the movie.

That didn't stop one parent's toddler from shouting and babbling throughout the movie, but hey, that's the 10% rule: There's always 1 out of 10 who will screw something up for everyone else.

But about the movie . . .

Positives: Jurassic World made the striking effort to both recreate the old (1st) movie's feel and pull off something totally new. To bring back the old, they recreated shots from the first movie, made reference to the "old" park, and even the ending battle scene had strong ties to the first film. As for the new, that's plastered just about everywhere, which is Chris Pratt controlling raptors, which I was pleasantly surprised to find that they didn't totally botch that! I mean, really, I think they walked this fine line between old and new quite well, and I can't think of any points that would balance this out further.

The raptor control thing, too, I thought was going to be just horribly lame, ended up being a strong point of the movie. I won't give up too much for spoilers sake, but dinosaurs are basically animals right? You can't mind control an animal, right? Well, thankfully, the film's writers, producers, and directors all managed to remember that! Good on you guys!

The Bad: Never surprised. Never felt in suspense.

No deaths surprised me, nor did any death happen unexpectedly. That dread I first felt when the water shook in the glass on the 1st film? Never felt anything even remotely close to that for the first film expect perhaps the part where the Big-Baddy first escapes and searches for Pratt under the car. Otherwise, I knew who was making it out and who was going to become dino food.

And oh yeah, about those deaths? People dying in this movie was practically comical. Strong dislike for how casual the death of humans was. Meanwhile, we were supposed to character about a dino's death, but just shrug at the British intern forced into babysitting duty? Lame. Lame, lame.

Still though, it was positive enough I gave a 6/10. Worth my time and money, but I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend it to anyone nor would I bother seeing it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment