Wednesday, July 22, 2015

My 2-Year's of Fitness Progress Report

Two years ago, on July 17th of 2013, I decided that for once in my life I was going to get fit. I was going to lose the weight, start working out, watch what I eat, and make a true effort to get 6-pack abs.

Well, I don't have the abs yet, but damn have I made progress. This is what I have to show for these two years worth of work:


I did this by counting calories and working out roughly 4 days a week, sometimes more sometimes less but on average about 4 times per week for half an hour to an hour at a time. This is just a status report though, because I'm still not at where I want to be. I figure I have about another two years before I'll finally have the body I envisioned when I started back in 2013.

But, if you'd like to know how I got this far, I'll give you the summary:

Firstly, by far the biggest factor is my diet change. I had tried getting fit several times in my life, but the only thing I did was run or go to the gym and I never watched what I ate. This meant I got stronger, but I never looked stronger. Counting calories is the holy grail of fitness, and I embraced it fully. Most people use app like MyFitnessPal, which is great and I highly recommend doing that, but it wasn't enough for me. In order to stay on track, I have to eat pretty much the exact thing every day in order to form a consistent habit. To do this, I created a spreadsheet that tracks my calories and macros. Have to keep that protein intake high in order to build and maintain muscle!

Secondly, I worked out. Obviously, right? Well, what isn't so obvious is that just going to the gym and lifting some weights here and there doesn't do anything. You need a program that targets the right muscles at the right time, allowing them to rest to recover and grow. The program I followed was essentially a modified version of the startbodyweight.com basic routine, meaning I didn't have to pay for a gym membership and I could workout from home, which was essential for my lazy and cheap attitude.

If you're reading this and want further information on how to get fit, I highly recommend reddit's r/Fitness Wiki, as that will tell you pretty much everything you'll need to know about gaining weight, losing weight, building muscle, or what have you.

As for me? My goal from here is to keep on going. I've got goals like being able to do a 1-arm chinup and such, as well as looking my best and being healthy. I'm addicted to this stuff now and so glad for it!

See you in a year for my next progress report! I have to keep accountable to someone, right? Might as well be me.

No comments:

Post a Comment