Friday, August 28, 2015

Review: Animal Farm

Animal Farm Animal Farm by George Orwell
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

After reading 1984 and this novel, I can't help but feel that Orwell had better understanding of power than damned near anyone I've ever heard or read about. His ability to weave a tale and show just how over long periods of time one man can come to rule a nation with an iron fist is incredible, or in this case should I say an iron trotter?

If you haven't heard, Animal Farm is an allegory for the Soviet Revolution. Particularly, it follows how the good efforts and intentions of communism when it met the real-world application of evil men with greedy ambitions. I'm honestly not even going to get started here on any of that, because really, this is a review of a book and not Communism or Totalitarianism, but seriously, this book was damned good if you love political infighting and the struggle of power and influence.

I will say one thing, though. I'm equally glad I didn't read this book in High School. I feel that at that age, the concepts would have been lost on me and I would have been bored to tears. I feel a grasp (even a light one) of history would make this novel far more enjoyable for anyone who picks it up. If you have no interest in such things, you might find this story lacking a point. To anyone else, you'll probably love it. Fair warning.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment