Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Review: Words of Radiance

Words of Radiance Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson
My rating: 0 of 5 stars

I made it 37% in. I just can't go any more, and I feel so bad about it about.

I mean, people LOVE this book. It has a damn 4.76 rating! I should have loved it, too! I had really hoped that the things I loved in the first book would magnify in this 2nd book and things I disliked in the 1st book would go away in this 2nd book. That's not what happened. Instead, a whole host of new issues showed.

God damned character betrayals left and right. 1) Kaladin hates ALL lighteyes no matter what in book 1, suddenly now he's willing to risk it all to protect Dalinar, his sons, the king, etc. Not to mention the fact that his hatred for lighteyes always seemed far-fetched to me anyway, considering he was only hurt by 2 of them. 2 lighteyes do you wrong and you now hate all of them with unbridled passion? Racist much? No honorspren would attach themselves to a jackass like you.

2) In book 1, all Kaladin's squad loves Dalinar and outright tells Kaladin he's wrong about the man. Book 2 comes around and the first things these guys are saying "should we trust Dalinar, Kaladin? Are you sure? He's a lighteyes." WTF?

3) Sadeas is what really did it in for me. The final straw, damnable Sadeas. In book 1, Sadeas' core value (his 1 true core value) was that he would sacrifice everything to protect Gavilar's son. He strayed betrayed Dalinar specifically because he felt it was the right thing to do for the kingdom. Then book 2 comes, Sadeas gets his first opening line, and what does he say? "I can't wait to strangle Gavilar's son with my bare hands." WTF? Like seriously? It's like characters in this book flip on a dime whenever the plot demands it!

And could the big bad who-the-hell-ever by ANY more vague? "He is coming" "Who?" "HE" "Yeah, who exactly?" "HE! THE HE!" Over and over and over and I just don't care.

I just don't care about the characters, and the world isn't deadly or interesting anymore. The unique features of the story like the chull and spren seem to have so little to do. Everything is focused around shardblades and shardplate, and everything else just gets left to rot on the wayside, and the shards just don't have that much going on for them. They cut and kill everything they touch. Sweet. So super swords, right?

I'll stop here. I don't want to bash this book anymore. Perhaps I'm just a bitter, pretentious asshole who can't recognize a good book when he reads one. I'm so sorry I didn't enjoy this book. I wanted to, really badly.

If you stuck through to the end of reading this rant, take the whole thing with a grain of salt. A lot of people loved this book, and perhaps you will, too.

Unfortunately, I did not.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment