Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Game Review - Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

I want to be clear that Uncharted 3 had a better story than Uncharted 2. ​We really got to know Drake and his friends much better, their background, and really turn Drake from a video game action-character into a real character. Had this been a movie, I probably would have loved it.

But it was a game, and as far as game's go, Uncharted 3 just didn't live up to Uncharted 2. The enemies didn't feel as challenging. The situations didn't feel as intense or as grand. The action seemed less urgent. The main big-bad-guy was a pansy suit-wearer who spent more time running and shooting sneaky drug darts than actually doing anything that felt threatening or worth giving a damn.
Really, story was great, but I just wasn't impressed with any of the situations I found Drake in, trying to fight for his life. No tightness in my gut as I barely squeak by or flash of heat as I get into a particularly hairy situation. The ending left me wondering, "That's it?" because I just couldn't believe it came to a close without a tough fight.
Oh, also, the puzzle solving. Tons and tons and tons of them in the first half of the game, which was awesome! Then the second half hit, and the puzzles just up and disappeared completely. So strange. It's like the Naughty Dog decided halfway through that Uncharted 3 wasn't meant to be a treasure hunter game anymore.
I'm also thinking this type of game just isn't my game. Perhaps I'm just not an Indiana Jones kinda guy. I mean, 75% of the reviews for this game on Grouvee are 4 or 5 stars, and here I am in the 15% bracket giving it a 3. Obviously I'm not to be trusted. Play Uncharted 3 and ignore my review.

No comments:

Post a Comment