Thursday, May 26, 2016

Dark Souls III: An Epic Conclusion

​So I'm a rabid fan of the Dark Souls games. There's no denying this fact, not from me or anyone else. I was hooked the moment I played Demons' Souls so long ago, bought a Playstation 3 ​specifically ​to play Dark Souls, pre-ordered Dark Souls II without a second thought, and ordered a steam-controller specifically to play Dark Souls III, which I pre-ordered as well and marked on my calendar the day it was coming out.

Basically, if you're looking for an unbiased source on this game's quality, you will not find it here. If you're wondering what a diehard fanboy thinks of this game, carry on.
Spoiler alert: I LOVE it. From the lore to the gameplay to the design, I'm as much in love with this game as I was with all the previous Souls games. I love the dark, gritty, decayed worlds of lost sanity that make it seem like your character is wandering through a masterwork art piece. I love the hidden lore that is difficult to pry apart and uncover, granting only glimpses into a deep pool of history, like we're some sort of Dark Age's knight glancing at the ruins of the Colosseum, wondering what beings could both create such wonders and yet not avoid their own demise. I love the brutal, relentless combat that makes you fight for every inch and punishes you mercilessly for stepping a fraction out of line. That adrenaline rush when you're invaded, that sense of accomplish when a boss is defeated, that ever so slow but sure grind out of the pit of hell you've been thrust into only to find the pit never ends as you've become one with the madness.
Essentially, Dark Souls III brings back all the best parts of the Dark Souls series and adds some flair of its own. Firstly, it's easier to invade in this game than in previous ones, and covenants aren't as binding as they once were. Players can switch freely between covenants and play for whichever team they want. DS3 also did a better job than DS2 in allowing players to level up their weapons and gear more freely, granting them more options on a single play-through. DS3 eliminated the Soul Memory concept from DS2, which has allowed for twinking to happen again, but it's not that bad in my opinion. I kind of embrace the challenge myself, and even look forward to making anti-twinks, so to speak. DS3 has also added the new feature of weapon arts, which is really a great concept that I've quickly fallen for.
But beyond that, it's pretty much the same game, and I'm so, so happy about that.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete