Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Review: The Black Company: The First Novel of 'The Chronicles of The Black Company'

The Black Company: The First Novel of 'The Chronicles of The Black Company' The Black Company: The First Novel of 'The Chronicles of The Black Company' by Glen Cook
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

The Black Company is a high, grim-dark fantasy that is almost but not quite in journal-entry form. It follows from the prospective of the company physician who tends to have more heart and soul than his comrades, and also an unhealthy dose of curiosity. I have to be honest. This book just wasn't written for me. I gave up about 2/3 of the way in because I just couldn't bring myself to care about what happened anymore. Let me try to explain in a way that hopefully won't dissuade you from giving this book a try.

What the Black Company does right: This book gets grim-dark well. Everything about this book feels gritty and harsh, and so morally grey that one can't tell the difference between good and bad to the point where it becomes simply "our side vs their side." This book also features some rather interesting god-like villains that are fascinating to watch and read about. Not to mention the plot. This book is straight up plot as you jump from event to event, leading down a long war of attrition being fought from within and without. It's almost "Game of Thrones light" if not for where it went wrong. Speaking of which . . .

What the Black Company got wrong (or at least for me): This book had zero finesse. I like lengthy descriptions, heavy world building, purple prose, and characters that are complex and draw me in. The Black Company pretty much falls flat on all of this as the story skips from event to event, hardly elaborating on anything in a style other than, "I went to the window. Outside I saw a mob. That's not good. I told Raven and we left." If that sort of thing doesn't bother you, than The Black Company is right up your alley but damn did it piss me off. This whole book was just a list of occurrences rather than an actual story in my opinion, and with that comes the inevitable problem I sometimes face: No character depth = no care about the characters. No care about the characters = no care about what happens to them.

And then I lose interest.

I still gave the book 2 stars because I'm certain there's a solid audience for this book out there somewhere. Not to mention I was enjoying myself for about the first half the book, so a 1 star just doesn't feel right. I should probably try Malazan.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment